Home to a population of 923,000, Cebu, when aggregated with its neighbouring cities, comprises the second largest metropolitan area in the Philippines and is the seat of the eponymously named Cebu province but is governed separately from.
- Metro Cebu consists of Cebu City (the capital of Cebu and the regional center of Central Visayas) along with twelve surrounding cities and municipalities
- As of the 2015 Census, almost 3 million people inhabit the metropolitan area
- While it only accounts for 20% of the area of Cebu province, Metro Cebu is home to over 60% of the island’s residents.
Considered by many to be the country’s design capital, Cebu is home to numerous internationally-recognized talents particularly in the fields of furniture, fashion, architecture and multimedia arts.
- Cebu is also the venue of Sinulog, the Philippines’ premier festival – a weeklong extravaganza drawing 2 million visitors every year.
- Considred one of the largest such festivals in the world, Sinulog won the 6th Korea Festival Grand Prix in 2018.
- It also encompasses multiple creative disciplines to celebrate the Child Jesus and the city’s unique distinction as the Cradle of Christianity in Asia.